If your life was a business and your skills were a service or product and you had 20 to 30 seconds to spark the interest of a major mogul in you, it’s an elevator ride and you have one shot at this, what would you say? What would you say is your unique value proposition in life? What do you offer the world? If you were not here what will your family, community and immediate environment be missing? What do you do better than everyone else?
Everyone is so uniquely designed that we all bring some special magic to the table. Why fail at being a cheap copy when you were born an original. Whether you acknowledge it or not you are always selling, those who are conscious of this reality use it to their advantage.
Questions ? – Your life Elevator Pitch.
- Are you aware your life is a product? What are your life attributes? What is your product line? In this case what is your chosen field of endeavor? Just like we have different products serving different purposes, we also have different people who are fulfilling different purposes via different platforms. It’s always interesting when I meet someone who says I do everything but we all know everyone is known for something. Find that thing and be the best at it.
- What is your unique selling proposition? For someone it’s their education, to another their childhood, while to someone else it’s their ability to overcome a tragic situation. Every man they say is a product of nature and nurture. What have you gone through that has helped crystallized your experiences. The difference in our conviction is majorly down to our experiences. The man who saw a lion and the one who was told there is a lion on the street run differently.
- What’s your story? You know how on a date and the other person always wants to know your story. It important to think through your life experiences and try to find meaning and purpose. Have you connected the dots on your experiences? Let your vast experience in life tell like a story. Prepare a mental slide show of your experiences, books you have read, locations you have lived and worked in and how this impacts what you do and how you do what you do. Let your life play like a movie and when you meet someone always know what part to skip to. The power of the elevator pitch is to strike interest in the target party in 20 to 30 seconds such that they ask for your card or seek other ways to connect with you.
- Are you a master? Learn to use everyday activities to demonstrate your mastery of you skill sets. Whether its analysis, project management, people management, crisis management, change management and so on. Workplace challenges always show up in our everyday life. I heard the story of the mother of four who went in for an interview with the title COO – she was the chief operations officer for one husband and four kids and boy was she efficient. Remember connect the dot, seek new ways to improve your life and experience. Deliberately create new experiences.
- What is your target market or segment? Do you know the people you are called to? Networking is deliberate. If what you are looking for isn’t defined you stumble over it without knowing.
Think on these things!
Be present, opportunities are everywhere so be perceptive. Practice structured thinking, put your experiences and skill sets in frame. You having a spanner is useless if you cannot identify a bolt. Know where you are going and learn how to identify the people that can get you there.
Be prepared you never know when an opportunity comes knocking.
Practice, practice, practice. It’s better to be prepared and not have an opportunity than to have an opportunity and not be prepared. Remember the bold make more progress than the knowledgeable always take your chance and please don’t bungle it.
Constantly evaluate what you are doing and how you are doing what you are doing? Are you making impact? James Allen said “You cannot travel within and stand still without.”
Deliberately make relationships count, help out, volunteer, serve someone and hope they tell someone else how great you are. Live everyday making the world better than you met it.
Commit to a daily routine to grow your mind.
That’s G.Y.M for today and I trust that you are charged up and obsessed with a burning desire to succeed. Ordinary is a misnomer for you.
Plan, Act and Pursue your dream.
Twitter Handle: @oreziemeotu
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/thegymnetwork/